If you’re new to blogging or have been around for as long as I have in the blogosphere, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is very important if you want to increase the amount of organic traffic your blog receives. If you don’t know the term SEO, it’s the process of optimizing a website so that it performs well in the search engines online. If you’re reading this then you obviously want to know how to optimize your blog for SEO, so I have come up with 5 SEO blog tips that you can use to improve your ranking in the search engines. Essentially this post is SEO basics for bloggers!
- Keyword research – This is essential for on page optimization and you’re probably already using keywords within your posts without realising it, however you want to optimize this as much as possible. The Google Adwords Keyword Tool is great to find keywords related to your topic to incorporate within your post.
- Don’t use just one keyword – This links to the previous point I made, you don’t want to just focus on a single keyword for the whole of your post but several keywords. This will help you rank higher for several different combinations of what others are searching for in the search engines instead of just one term.
- Utilise keywords – Once you have discovered a couple of keywords you want to make sure you place them where they have the most impact. The places you’ll want to include them are in the: title, headings, first paragraph, anchor text and meta descriptions.
- Optimize images – Every time you upload a photo you want to include keywords in the file name and add a brief but keyword rich description into the alternative text field.
- Inbound links – When possible link internally, what this means is link to related blog posts on your website within the blog post you are writing. This not only keeps your visitors on your website for longer, but it also surfaces other authoritative and relevant pages to search engines.
These tips will help you to optimize your blog for SEO which will increase the amount of organic traffic you receive. If you have any other SEO blog tips to add please leave a comment down below as it will help others reading this post too!