If you love Oreos then I have something even better for you, Oreo cupcakes! These are delicious chocolate cupcakes topped with Oreo buttercream icing and an Oreo biscuit to finish it off. They’re delicious but there’s just one problem and I’m warning you, they’re very moreish!
- 2 large eggs
- 90g caster sugar
- 115g butter
- 115g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
Oreo Buttercream Icing:
- 190g icing sugar
- 125g butter
- 4 Oreos
- 6 Oreos
Now you’ve made sure that you have all the ingredients, it’s time to start baking!
To Make the Cupcakes
- Whisk together the butter and sugar until it’s pale and fluffy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and continue to whisk together until fully combined. If you’re not using an electric mixer then you’ll want to add the eggs first a little at a time, then add a small amount of flour if you think it’s going to start to curdle before adding the remaining ingredients and flour. However with an electric mixer you can put all the ingredients in together.
- Place an even amount of cake mixture into 6 cupcake cases. You might have some mixture left over depending on the size of your cases.
- Bake in the middle of a preheated oven (190C/170C fan) for 15-20 minutes. You can check if they’re ready by poking a skewer or small knife in the middle, and if it comes out clean they’re cooked. If not just pop them back in for a few minutes.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack.
To Make the Oreo Buttercream Icing
- Whisk the butter for 5-10 minutes until it’s light and fluffy.
- Sift the icing sugar into the bowl and mix with the butter for another 5 minutes.
- Crush up the Oreos until they resemble crumbs and add to the icing. Mix until fully combined, then pop into the fridge to set.
- You can just add the buttercream icing on the top of the cupcakes with a knife, however I prefer to use a nozzle and piping bag. Then just top with an Oreo and you’re done!
I love the Oreo twist with the buttercream icing, it makes the taste a little more interesting and is a great way to change up traditional buttercream icing. My favourite cupcakes at the moment are Happy Hippo Cupcakes & Nutella Buttercream Icing which I also have a recipe for if you’re interested in some more baking!