As I work from home I find that I could be sat around for hours at my desk before I actually move, now I know that this is not good especially as I’m not moving much during the day. The fact that my office is opposite my bedroom means my work is literally a few steps away from my bed, so whenever possible I make the extra effort to add more steps into my daily life. I’ve come up with 10 different ways in which you can easily add extra steps into your day.
- Start using a pedometer and set yourself a goal. This is something I am definitely going to start to do as it’s always nice to see your progress. I read an article by Legal & Guardian about why fitness trackers might be gaining popularity and it’s really encouraged me to try out a pedometer as they can help with motivation.
- When watching TV be active on the break, you could do something such as finish the washing up, or go get that item you left upstairs but couldn’t be bothered to get.
- If you need to pop to the shops to pick up something such as milk and it’s only up the road, walk instead of driving. Now I do have a habit of taking the car but recently I’ve been trying to make the extra effort to walk, plus the fresh air is always nice.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. This is something I always do, especially if I only need to go up one or two flights of stairs.
- If you’re like me and have both a downstairs and upstairs toilet, use the upstairs one. I’ve got into a habit of doing this, so even if I am downstairs I will go up to use it.
- On your work break,go for a little walk to stretch your legs if you’re sitting down all day. I know for people who are in fast-paced jobs which are physically demanding this isn’t realistic, but if you work in an office then this is a really good idea.
- Park further away. When I do the weekly grocery shop I park as far away in the car park as possible instead of finding the nearest parking spot, it’s only a little bit further but it makes a difference.
- Put on music and dance whilst you clean and tidy the house. I am very guilty and do this every time, it gets your heart beating a little faster as makes it a lot more fun (well as fun as it can get haha).
- Stand up whilst you’re talking on the phone. Now I know this sounds a little odd but I find that if I stand up whilst I’m on the phone, I actually tend to do a lot of pacing and walking about.
- If you take the bus get off a stop early. Now this is an obvious one but you can actually get a lot of extra steps into your day by doing this.
Let me know if you do any of these to add extra steps into your day or if you have any tips yourself!